This website is my diploma project for the ECAL.
(Media & Interaction Design).
Thank you to my teachers for their monitoring and advice.
Cyril Diagne, Alain Bellet, Gaël Hugo and Christophe Guignard.

Design & development: Pierre Georges
English translation: Nadine Murgida


All the audiovisual content comes from the NASA's websites and the rights belong to them. Thanks to them to share it and to allow its use.

root : system_h_ck
Block this user

Florida, 1969.
Apollo 11 is about
to be launched.

scroll down


Edwin, Michael and I have been preparing ourselves for this trip for years.

  • Neil


  • Buzz

    Lunar Module

  • Michael

    Command Module

Neil, Edwin and Michael

Neil Armstrong : I was the commander of the mission. I piloted the module to the moonscape. I started my career as an airplane pilot in the american army before I became a test pilot at the NASA in 1955. I was part of the team that managed the first docking of an other spaceship (Gemini 8).

Edwin « Buzz » Aldrin : They say I was the comic of the group. I was the second member of the crew that went on the moonscape, right after Neil. Just like him, I was a fighter pilot before I joined the NASA.

Michael Collins : My role on the mission was just as important, I had to stay in the orbit waiting for my two friends, in order to eventually go back to Earth. As a (trained) fighter pilot, I had already travelled with Buzz in the Gemini 10 mission.

scroll down


Since there wasn't much space, we took the strict minimum with us.

In our luggages

We took the strict minimum with us

  • Personal

  • Spacesuit

  • Sunglasses

  • 70mm

  • Urine

  • Crewman Optical
    Alignment Sight

  • Medical Kit

  • Operations

  • Signal

  • Note pad
    and pencil

  • Binoculars

  • Lunar Sample
    Return Container

  • Cassette

  • Soil Sampler

  • Cutlery

  • Razor
    and tube

  • Waist


We hadn’t got much space, every inch was counted. We had to limit ourselves to the strict minimum in order to survive during these 9 days.

The space suits were specifically conceived to keep us alive outside the spaceship, during the periods of external activities, such as in the non-pressured engines.

This camera and its 10mm wide-angle lens were part of the first television program airing from space (Apollo 8). Simple to use, the camera helped us record our first steps on the moon, broadcasted worldwide.

scroll down


After breakfast, we take the bus to the launch pad for the takeoff.

Departure on the
16th of July 1969

Takeoff at 1:32 pm UTC
from the Kennedy space centre

Three... Two... One...

On 16th July 1969, we got up at crack of dawn to eat breakfast. We then got dressed with the help of scientists, verifying that every element of the space suits were correctly fixed.

During the whole time, an army of engineers made sure that everything was perfect for the takeoff. The preparation work had already started a few years ago.

3…2…1… Takeoff ! It was so powerful we were immediately compressed to the back of our seats, incredible!

Two minutes and thirty seconds after the takeoff, 2’000 tons of fuel were already used and a 42 meter high cylinder was dropped. Everything went fine.

scroll down


Many steps have punctuated the trip to our destination.

July 16, 1969

Take-off from the Kennedy Space Center

    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)


    • Elapsed time


    • Hour (UTC)



The landing strip had to be in front of the Earth, in order to allow radio transmissions with Houston. It also had to be flat, and not be surrounded by rocks that could have distorted the radar.

We finally landed on an ocean of tranquility, after a final approach phase that lasted longer than expected. Alarms were set off because of a conception problem and the selected site for the landing was exceeded by 7 km. Neil had to take control of the manual commands, because the power of the computer that lead the autopilot was equivalent to a low-end calculator of the year 2000.

scroll down


We stepped on the moon while broadcasting worldwide, in front of 600 million spectators.

Worldwide television broadcast

We fixed a camera on the right window of the lunar module. The camera filmed our descent of the nine steps, and the moment we finally put our feet on the moon’s ground.

These images were live-broadcasted for 600 millions viewers on Earth. The Houston press room welcomed 3'497 journalists, including 111 Japanese, 80 Italian, 64 British, 57 French and 44 German journalists.

scroll down


We took a lot of photos, in memory of our extraordinary trip.

Our everyday life

After more than 3 days locked up in the spaceship,
we discovered the stretch of the moon.


By the means of Hasselblad cameras, known for capturing the finest details, we immortalised our daily tasks and the fascinating lunar landscapes.

Michael was particularly tidy, and insisted on shaving everyday. He came back to Earth with a moustache, of which he was proud.

As Buzz went out of the module to tread upon the moonscape for the first time, he shouted “Great view! Magnificent desolation”. He then joined me and we unveiled a memorial stone that would stay on the moon after our departure.

scroll down


After we joined Michael who stayed in the orbit, we landed in the Pacific ocean.

In total, the flight
lasted 195 hours

The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Hornet
recovered the three astronauts.

In quarantine for 21 days

When we got back, we were placed in quarantine for 21 days. President Nixon came to talk to us through our metallic box window. Neil played ukulele, and we had a lot of reports to write and papers to fill in. It was hard to see our spouses from the other side of the window, not being able to hold them in our arms.

On 13th August, a huge parade was organised in the streets of New York. The whole town was reunited to celebrate the accomplishment of this incredible adventure with us.

scroll down


We had to fill in a document at the customs to declare the objects we brought back from the moon.


For 21.5 kilos
of moon rocks brought


sand bottles have
also been reported

Customs declaration

We had to fill in a customs form. It stated that we had travelled from Cap Kennedy to Honolulu, Hawaii, with a stopover. As for the possibility that we had brought back infected agents, we wrote “to be determined…”.

A few days later, I sent an expense report to the NASA, in order to get a refund on 33,31 dollars for the “travel expenses”. It is in fact, the cost of our trip from our home to the space station. Fortunately I didn’t need to pay the trip to the moon!

scroll down


The media have relayed the event worldwide.


ERROR! There was an unexpected problem during the page loading. The file is damaged and can not be repaired.


Thank you to turn your device into portrait to enjoy the site.